Jul 10, 2016

Running For Your Lives

The first of four loud bangs fires off letting the runners know the corral was open then shortly after the second bang fires off letting the runners know the six bulls had exited and were making their way. The cobble stone streets literally started to shake and the dare-devils I was surrounded by look back at death-mans-corner to see if the bulls had made the turn. It's frowned upon to the beat the bulls to the arena where the 875 meter run ends as spectators waiting will hit you with vicious vocal heckles and boo's. So starting too far ahead does you no good and essentially guarantees anyone in the race no complete safety as you have to let them pass at some point. As the cobble stone shakes increased I finally saw the beasts come the around the corner. It was happening. 

I along with everyone else went from looks of uncertainty to a sprint in no time. The mad dash was under way. The combination of head turning could make one dizzy as you had to consciously keep looking forward so you don't trip over someone or their feet and behind so you don't get gorged in the backside or pushed into the side of an apartment building. It was all such a blur I don't remember the exact moment the bulls passed me but they did. Shortly after a group of six steers that follow the bulls passed me which brought me to the final stretch where I could see the entrance to the arena where my premature celebration started. I thought I was home free when I saw the sun gleaming into the open air arena but boy was I wrong. After the six bulls and six steers run on through they release three more steers just make sure all 12 keep course. As if the streets weren't narrow enough hundreds of us funneled into the ring through the main entrance(see last picture below). At this point I'm just getting shoved in my back finally realizing that the last three steers are close behind. As its every man for himself (and a few women) I brutally shoved the guy in front of me to get to some open ground in the arena to break off from the massive crowd squeezing in. I will never know exactly how close the last three steers were to me but it was close enough to push my adrenaline to an incredible point only to come down once I was guaranteed safety from all four legged creatures... for the time being...

I caught my breath and looked around a packed house of just under 20,000 people cheering the ones who made it inside the arena. These 20,000 were there for entertainment and entertainment is what they got. Once the run is finished everyone turns into amateur matadors as the bulls are released from their corral one by one into the inner circle. Again its a free for all but the Spaniards and tourists alike can decide how much they want to test the bulls so you can attempt to play it safe(r). I for one wasn't exactly playing "chicken" with the bulls as I stayed closer to the walls for a good portion. For a few bits I did however hop into the dead center to get the feel and to say I did it. At one point I did get close enough to slap a bulls ass as it was in the midst of hurdling itself at a Spaniard close by. 

What went on in the arena after the race was something I definitely didn't expect. With plenty of people losing their battle of "chicken" to the bulls it was gruesome to say the least. The man who got it the worst from my point of view was a daring lad who couldn't quite dodge the horn as it slipped under his shirt on his backside then up through the top by his neck. At this point the bull the could have his way. He was tossed around like a stuffed toy during a puppies first play session. It took at least a dozen people to get him free after a serious battering.  

Once all six bulls had a session with the runners inside the ring it put a cap on the actual running of the bulls for the day. The rest of the morning and afternoon was fiesta time with loads of sangria and cervezas. What's not to love about that? 

The whole experience from the opening ceremonies to the moment I left Pamplona was a mixture of emotions ranging from new heights of adrenaline to shire happiness through the streets not just from me but anyone there to celebrate Saint Fermin. Below are a few pictures from the run, hope you enjoy! 


All packed together before the start of the run





I'm safe Mom! 


Leaving the arena through the tunnel as described above


Well played on the proposal Mate. 20,000 people watching with all the attention on her


The tunnel that shouldn't be taken lightly (Picture stolen from Associated Press)

No comments:

Post a Comment