Jul 2, 2016

Queso Picón de Tresviso or Picon Bejes-Tresviso

If there were ever a cheese to stop a speeding bullet or Superman himself Queso Picón de Tresviso might just have the power to do it. Its shire flavor is something thats tough to put into words. This last week I had the opportunity to couchsurf in Santander with a local named Jorge. The first night in Santander Jorge and I went out for a proper sit-down meal outside of the city center where we indulged in jijas con patatas y huevo and queso picon de tresviso. The first being pig intestines topped with an egg and potatoes and second a strong-stinky cheese produced from a mixture of cow, sheep and goats milk. While I don't want to speak poorly of the pig intestine because in its own right was a flavor explosion but in a different sense than the cheese. This cheese literally took over my whole head once it hit my tongue. The smell flowed through my nasal cavities and filled my head like a hot air balloon. I was not alone with this opinion as Jorge had the same feeling also adding in that its best cheese he has ever tasted in his life. That really put it in perspective as Jorge has lived in numerous places in Spain and is born and raised in Northern Spain where it is produced. The cheese itself is actually regulated to make sure it hits a certain quality and is produced from a certain region (Liebana specifically for this cheese). This type of thing common in Spain primarily for wine but also for certain foodstuffs like this queso. The Spanish people take their wine and cheese seriously to say the least.

For most my dishes abroad I love to take a shameless photo of my meal prior to eating for my scrapbook once I get home. Believe it or not I was so cheese-drunk during this meal I completely blanked and forgot to get a snapshot of the three triangular cheese slices. For now its alright as a week later I still catch faint whiffs of it in my sinuses as a replacement. I did happen to get a few photos of the jamon appitizer and jijas con patatas y huevo which you can see below along with various photos around the city of Santander.


Jamon Iberico 


Jijas con Patatas y Huevo. I didn't expect the potatoes to come out like this because some countries call them french fries... regardless delicious!


 Playa Del Camillo, one of the many beaches in Santander 


Punta de Higar, Santander 


A snapshot under a walkway that separates two beaches in Santander


Over looking Santander



No comments:

Post a Comment