Sep 2, 2017

Petty List

Took me way too long to put this list together and post it but hey better late than never. I have been back in U.S. for three months now and put together some things that have annoyed me slightly after being away. Just slightly....

1.) First and foremost JAYWALKING. It was a second offense to me. First weekend back I was out In Seattle with some friends I stepped off the sidewalk and a red-hand eyed me down opposite side of the crosswalk informing pedestrians to not walk. None of my friends followed. People are a tad more cautious here on busy streets and looking at it from the outside thats a lot smarter. Oops.. easy adjustment.

2.) Taxes. I was so use to paying the price that you see. Not the case back in Pacific Northwest. Don't forget to add that 9(ish) cents to every dollar you spend for sales tax. 

3.) Getting identified going out. You would think the bouncers/security at these places get money for every fake ID or catching someone underaged with how persistent they are. Various parts of Seattle regardless how old you look you're gonna get the ID treatment. 

4.) Filling the ol gas tank. I didn't drive a car for over a year. It's not that I for got how to drive but I would always forget to take note of the pump number and wouldn't notice until i was at the counter. I have pushed this minute nuisance to the side but I'll tell you what when you're lazy as I'am sometimes you despise that 30 yard walk back and fourth to the get that pump number.

5.) Putting the toilet seat down or up after the job is done. If the toilet wasn't a squatter I would always put the toilet seat down in a hostel, guesthouse or couchsurfing spot to be curtious. Just like jaywalking, this as well became second nature. Back home my first few times hanging with my buddies at their place I questioned the lip placement. I asked them the mancode ruling on that one...it stays up in all-male locations. Thanks for the help fellas.

6.) Pocket check. No new news here but pick pocketers lurk in nearly all tourist destinations. Because of this I got into a serious habit of checking two things literally every 15-20 minutes when out in public. My wallet and my unconnected my iphone. Wallet in front left pocket and phone in the front right pocket of any shorts or pants. 

7.) Date/month/year OR month/date/year. In much of Europe and the Eastern world the former is preferred. So that's what I came accustom to. After a few quick notes in my journal back home with the date added habits were changed to fill suit.  

Well I hope you enjoyed the moderately entertaining list due to their off the wall nature but more importantly thanks to anyone who read along to the end. Keeping on checking though I'll most likely post peridically about adventuring in general and more. Thanks again! 

Here was my first picture back a few months ago with my Mom, Sisters and Brother.  



No comments:

Post a Comment