Dec 14, 2016

Get Your Graffiti Hands Out

In Tel-Aviv, the Florentine area is only place that one can legally graffiti the streets and alleyways without any repercussions. Just like any piece(s) of street art some of it is good and some of it is bad. From my five weeks there I spent a solid amount of time walking around the area every so often looking to throw together my favorite pieces. After a few trips out I really started to see peoples personality and goals in producing each piece of street art... Then I thought about it and that makes sense with all sorts of categories of art not just the street stuff. The main difference with these artists is their canvas are a concrete wall just around the corner from a falafel shop or the side of rundown brick building.

Looking back on it now I'm definitely disappointed in myself for not giving it a shot in making a piece of artwork. One doesn't need to be a graffiti master to mark their spot and I'm guessing mine would have landed on the not so good end of the spectrum but who really cares. Come to think of it some of my favorite pieces were the more simplistic ones. A quote that I had never heard that put a smile on my face or a little caricature that had a fantastic face are a few examples.

One assumption I turned into a near fact after my five weeks of living in the Florentine area is the graffiti definitely embodied the people that live and visit there. It's different, it's quirky and it works. There are all varieties of people in Florentine just like the street art. These people have turned Florentine into the happening area for young adults and added another dimension of night life into a lively city to begin with.

Here is a massive photo dump of street art that are some of my favorites. It was hard to pick even this many since the variety is MASSIVE. Also there some photos of the quirky and different people that make Florentine churn.. most importantly they're my good friends :)



 The kitty even posed for this one 












1 comment:

  1. Hi Woody .. it's Vincent .. (jhdumotier@gmail.com) .. very good pictures .. I'll read the texts later .. Enjoy your trip ..

    ReplyDelete