May 25, 2014

Stronger Than Most

Genocide; The deliberate and systematic destruction of a racial, political, religious and ethnic group. Up until about three weeks ago whenever I heard the word genocide in any circumstance I promptly thought of the Holocaust. Since then I have spent two and a half weeks wandering through Cambodia where I was opened up to the details of the Cambodian genocide carried out by the Communist Khmer Rouge that took place in the 1970's. Prior to my visit I knew genocide had occurred in Cambodia but I honestly had no idea the magnitude of the actions that took place nearly 40 years ago. In Phnom Penh, the capital of Cambodia, I visited one of roughly 20,000 mass graves known as "Killing Fields" (same concept as a concentration camp) and the Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum (A school turned into a prison during the genocide then turned into a memorial/museum there afterwards). These heartbreaking exhibits filled me in on the fact that in a four (ish) year span two-three million people or 25% of the Cambodian population was executed in some inhumane way (In regards to "inhumane" details can be left out but in a direct quote from my audio-guide at the Killing Fields "bullets were not used as they were to be saved for more important things" .... all I can say is grotesque objects would better describe their methods....). To lose one out of every four family members or friends in a four year span is almost unthinkable and I'm still having trouble rapping my brain around it. As Phnom Penh was my first stop in Cambodia it gave me an opportunity to view the country through a different set of eyes. The months prior to reaching Cambodia all the backpackers were telling how "awful" and "devastating" the Killing Fields and prison were but to truly get the feel and severity it's something you have to see to believe. As I look back on Cambodia now I try not to think of the past as much as the present, just as the Cambodian people do. It's nearly impossible not be impressed with the joyful warm-hearted nature of the people there. The Cambodian's are special people, I do know that.

Whenever I got into any sort of social interaction with a Cambodian (s), whether it was directions or ordering a meal, big city or small, I just got this wonderful sensation that they truly wanted to hear what I had to say (To be honest, not sure I can say that for every country/city/town I have been to so far). They weren't trying to rip to me off, they weren't trying to give me wrong directions just because it would be funny to them and they definitely wouldn't give me the cold-shoulder as if I didn't exist. That is something every traveler can appreciate. Once I had finished these normal everyday conversations with Cambodians I'd jog my memory to think that just 40 years ago whomever I was talking too had most likely lost a friend or family member. That concept is still mind-numbing to me.

In the end it brings a smile to my face knowing that a whole country can persevere from such hardships with so much optimism. Here's to you Cambodia * raises glass .... chugs beer *.

Below are a few pictures of some friendly Cambodians I ran into along the way.

My hostel owner in Siem Reap (pictured in the middle) and his best friend invited me to have dinner with them one evening. 

Even the wild monkeys love Cambodians. I couldn't get within 5 ft of that little turd but when the Cambodian Tuk-Tuk driver comes around he's all hugs and kisses.

Cambodian from Phonm Penh at Angkor Wat (outside Siem Reap)



1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for your blogs Woody. They're a fantastic combination of candid, funny and thought provoking. Who knew I'd be getting mini history and geography lessons from you while on this journey? LUV IT! :) Keep 'em coming! XXOO

    ReplyDelete